Friday, October 24, 2014

Avian Morbid Recluse: Rebirth

When I last visited the topic of birth death more specifically, "the natural expiration of our avian friends", in my post "Avian Morbid Recluse", I suppose I overlooked the most important part of the matter; the birds life. Simple mistake I suppose. Birds embody an existence that is ever present in our natural environment, much like the oak tree we surround for it's shade, the blades of grass that cushion our steps, and the field mouse that for very logical reasons stays out of our lives. We become blind to their existence, we take a deep breath of the fresh, crisp air and continue our lives as if we live on the same earth but in separate realms. I imagine back to a time when I marveled at their attributes, their grace, their freedom, but like all wonders with age, I suppose I have begun (subconsciously) to accept their actuality and submit to the monotonous life I once denied I would ever settle into. This is my rebirth. As I have continually been reminded in Digital Commons, I too often look, but do not observe. I glance at the bird, the oddly dark haired squirrel, the deer starring deep into the headlights of my speeding car, but I do not once think, or observe what they could possibly be doing or dare I say, feeling. "They're just animals", but I laugh, because I know we can never really describe what that means. "They do not think, they just do", but what do they see? How do they feel? What do they know? The majesty of our feathered, furry and scaly friends is an ode to human limitation. We strive to be like them, and study their virtues, but we still demean their existence.

Here are a few POV videos of truly amazing creatures. Step into their reality, embrace their abilities. Would you trade the eagles flight, for your cognitive abilities?

The Eagle:


Here is a link to more animal videos.

I would also like to suggest a book that exploits human inquiry in nature and explores our place here on earth. Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Kimmerer is a plant ecologist, writer, and professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

Here are some reviews if you are skeptical in exploring this book on my word alone.

To be further explored...

No comments:

Post a Comment